Yankees’ Aaron Boone shares update on Anthony Volpe-Jose Caballero situation

May 23, 2026 - 02:30
Yankees’ Aaron Boone shares update on Anthony Volpe-Jose Caballero situation

New York Yankees manager Aaron Boone said that Jose Caballero would regain the starting shortstop job after returning from a finger injury, and although the 29-year-old Panamanian is in the lineup in his first game back, the team’s stance may be a bit different.

“Anthony Volpe will begin working out at second base on days when he is not playing shortstop,” MLB.com’s Bryan Hoch reported before Friday’s face-off with the Toronto Blue Jays. “Aaron Boone said he spoke to both Jose Caballero and Volpe about sharing duties at shortstop. Caballero will also bounce around. ‘As I’ve told them each, it’s not going to be the perfect scenario on a given day.'”

Yankees fans are surely not thrilled about the idea of experimenting in the infield, especially if it is to accommodate the polarizing Volpe. It is presently unclear if this development will affect regular second baseman Jazz Chisholm Jr., who played 29 games at third for New York last season.

Caballero injects needed athleticism and small-ball savvy, both of which have been lacking in The Bronx for some time. He entered the series opener versus the reigning American League champions batting .259 with four home runs, a .320 on-base percentage, .720 OPS and 13 stolen bases in 41 games.

Caballero has struggled at the plate since debuting with the Seattle Mariners in 2023, but he has swiped the most bags in the AL in two different seasons and is a dependable fielder. New York is clearly not ready to give up on Volpe, the player who is supposed to have higher upside. The No. 30 pick in the 2019 MLB Draft is 5-for-23 (.217) with three RBIs, two stolen bases and a .704 OPS since being called up from Triple-A  Scranton/Wilkes-Barre earlier in May.

Many believe Anthony Volpe needs a fresh start somewhere else, while others argue he is the most talented shortstop the Yankees currently have on their roster. Management has not made a definitive decision one way or the other, leading to this tinkering phase.

Although the Yankees are taking a risk, perhaps they will finally obtain the clarity they have been seeking. Brian Cashman and Aaron Boone will incur the fan base’s wrath if this plan backfires, but they should be used to that by now.

The post Yankees’ Aaron Boone shares update on Anthony Volpe-Jose Caballero situation appeared first on ClutchPoints.

What's Your Reaction?

Like Like 0
Dislike Dislike 0
Love Love 0
Funny Funny 0
Angry Angry 0
Sad Sad 0
Wow Wow 0